[Qgis-user] Write Coordinates to Attribute Table

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 01:35:57 PDT 2008

Darren,

> I'm looking for a way to write X/Y coordinates for a point shapefile
> back into two columns (X/Y) in the shapefile's attribute table.  Can
> QGIS do this?  If so, how?

You can try the compute geometry plugin that comes with fTools.  This
will take your input shapefile, compute the x and y coordinates, and
then create an identical new shapefile with the added fields.  You can
also download and install the individual compute geometry tool.

Both are available here:

http://www.geog.uvic.ca/spar/carson/cfarmerQgisRepo.xml/

Just add this to your plugin installer repository list.

> Ideally, the less steps required the
> better, as this is something that will need to be repeated multiple
> times--thus a script would be ideal!

I'll see if I can adapt a simple script from the above plugin, and try
to get back to you...

--
Carson Farmer
National Centre for Geocomputation