[Qgis-user] looking for an updated georeferencer??

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Dec 11 04:08:07 PST 2008

Matt B wrote:
> Hi Group,
> I was on the irc channel the other day and someone mentioned an updated
> (perhaps beta) georeferencing plugin. I'm havi9ng issues with the current
> one (Helmert just doesn't work on lmy linux machine and doesn't give great
> results on windows).
> Is anyone able to point me in the direction of packages for another?
>
> Thanks
> Matt

I'll warn you now that you need to compile it yourself and then stick
the library in the appropriate place on your system. If that sounds like
too much of a hassle and you can't wait there are a few other options.

The new version of the plugin
1st thing is to upgrade to 1.0 Preview 2, see the download page for
details and warnings.
http://download.qgis.org/downloads.rhtml

the repos are (change the name of the distro for Intrepid)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jef-norbit/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/jef-norbit/ubuntu hardy main

For windows:
http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/win32/QGIS-1.0.0preview2-Setup.exe

Then you can get the new version of the plugin using
svn co http://svn.gis-lab.info/qgis-gdal-georef/

Other Options
1. Create the GCP file using the qgis plugin. Then apply the gcps using
the commandline (the gcps are all in the text file the plugin creates
before you run the warp)
gdal_translate -gcp
http://gdal.org/gdal_translate.html
and/or gdalwarp if you need to reproject or rubbersheet at all,
(I can vouch this method works fine for maps that are already projected,
gdalwarp would be necessary for things like Air Photos or satellite imagery)

2. Try http://labs.metacarta.com/rectifier/ if your data can be public

3. Try GRASS http://grass.itc.it/grass64/manuals/html64_user/i.vpoints.html

Hope that helps get you further,
Alex