[Qgis-user] Plugin Troubles. Getting Started (SIP, PYQT, PYRCC confusions)

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Jul 2 06:26:32 PDT 2008

Alright,

A week of frustration solved by this blog post.
http://iwiwdsmi.blogspot.com/2007/01/how-to-install-pyqt-41-python-25-an
d-qt_8340.html

The binary install worked nicely and was underneath my nose the whole
time...

Maybe someone can provide nice instruction for setting up the dev env in
the wiki page. http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/PythonBindings

This would have gotten me up and going much quicker.

Cheers

________________________________

	From: qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Sampson, David
	Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 09:18
	To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
	Subject: [Qgis-user] Plugin Troubles. Getting Started (SIP,
PYQT,PYRCC confusions)

	Hey folks, I want to create plugins for Q GIS and I am
completely lost.

	I am running python 25 on a windows box.
	I have cygwin mingw components installed under cygwin.
	Distutils pointing cygwin/mingw for compiling python extensions
(http://boodebr.org/main/python/build-windows-extensions#CFG_DISTUTILS
<http://boodebr.org/main/python/build-windows-extensions#CFG_DISTUTILS>
)

	I have been going between a bunch of sites to try and figure out
how to get started.

	The python stuff is no problem. I want to get the plugin into
Qgis.

	My understanding is that I need to comppile some resources
against pyrcc (http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/DevelopingPluginsWithPython
<http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/DevelopingPluginsWithPython> )

	So I try finding it in the qgis install and it is not there.

	Next I learn that pyrcc is part of the QT stack. So I go to
learn how to install pyQT stuff (http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt
<http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt> )

	I go to Pyqt4 site and get the packages. I can't find binaries
so I try to build form source.

	 Of course this leads me to SIP extensions, again that I need to
build from source cause I can not find windows binaries.

	Am I going in the right direction or have I missed the simple
approach? I like simple.

	So now I am in cygwin trying to do

	Python Configure.py -p cygwin-g++; make; make install

	For the SIP package. The build fails of course... I then try
PyQt, which fails cause it is missing SIP dependencies. So do I need to
start with the SIP mailing list, then the Pyqt mailing list and then
finaly try a small "hello world" plugin. IMHO if this is what I need to
do, this is a big barrier to potential plugin developers. With
applications like OpenEV I need only create a python script and run it
to make a GIS plugin.

	I have not tried this on my linux box as it is proving to polute
my winbox system. I like a lean linux box without all this overhead and
compiling of binaries that will get hidden.

	WINDOWS BINARIES WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE. Or maybe we just need
less windows boxes...

	In fact a QGIS plugin kit that gives you EVERYTHING would be
ideal.

	Cheers