[Qgis-user] Grass plugin not appearing in plugin manager

asroberts asroberts at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 16:44:23 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I am just starting to work with QGIS 0.11.0 under Kubuntu Gutsy.  I have not been able to find or install the GRASS GIS plugin in the plugin manager.

When I start QGIS from the terminal, I get the following error message:

ERROR 1: libgrass_I.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have both GRASS 6.2.3 and qgis-plugin-grass 0.11.0-2 (along with its libraries) installed.

I have confirmed that libgrass_I.so does exist in /usr/lib/grass/lib.  So I tried copying it to /usr/lib/qgis.  This had no effect.

Following a suggestion from one of the emails in this list's archive, I also tried to edit my /etc/ld.so.conf file by adding a line with, "/usr/lib/grass" but this did not seem to help either.  Though I have never edited the ld.so.conf file before, so I may have not used the correct syntax.

Does any one have any ideas where my problem might be?

Thank you!

-Andy.