[Qgis-user] Metis and creating pyramids

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Tue Jul 29 15:07:01 PDT 2008

David Fawcett pisze:
> One other thing to think about.  If you are viewing at full extent,
> tiled tiffs will likely take longer.

And another one is that this effect is gone when overviews come to play
- a tiled image with overviews displays as fast as a stripped one with
overviews (yes I'm repeating myself but maybe some users will find it
even usefull that I do ;)).

> The benefits of tiling only start to show up once you zoom in.

True. If there are no overviews, only when I zoom in a lot on a tiled
image, the difference in render time compared to a stripped image
becomes not noticable. But why so? Is this unavoidable (excuse my
question if it's silly) or could there, at least in theory, be something
done about that in QGIS?

Best,
Maciek

--