[Qgis-user] QGIS and google maps (and Open Street Map)

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Thu Jun 5 07:12:29 PDT 2008

> > I suggested writing a plugin for this, hopefully someone will find the
> > time and interest to write it.
> > All the best.
> > pc
>
> ...and the knowledge.

I think it would be nice to create a OSM provider, but maybe we should wait
for implementing the RasterCatalog and then use it. Probably it's feasible
even now in Python, but I'm afraid it would be too slow, since I see only one
way - through a WLD file and the GDAL's merge.

Btw. I've just read on the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org, that the googlemaps
data at some places have errors more than 50m (both photo and map) and the
OSM community try to avoid such errors. I've no more knowledge about it.