[Qgis-user] qgis and gps in real-time

Juha Tuomala Juha.Tuomala at iki.fi
Fri Mar 7 08:56:44 PST 2008

Hi to everyone, this is intresting topic :)

On Friday 07 March 2008 14:47:23 Chris H wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2008 05:17:23 am Luca Casagrande wrote:
> > reason that the most import thing is to update the data from the receiver.
> > Once you have the data updated at a certain interval, you can access them
> > with anything (for examples a Qgis plugin that
> > will reload data at a selected interval).

Well, first of all, all polling is nonideal. In case of postgis
backend, you could use SQL triggers as postgresql supports those.

How to bind these to update the canvas in qgis i don't know as i'm
still new to it.

Anyway, as a thought it's intresting. Considering that you've
shared gis enabled database and multiple users modifying it,
what happens when some layer changes, does it get updated on
every client and how, instantly or when something is queried
next time?

You would also need some kind of station id too if you happen
to have multiple moving objects on same canvas.

  http://www.kh-gps.de/trackbox.htm

  http://byonics.com/tinytrak/

and especially the tt smt is intresting:

  http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/ttsmt.php

You could fit that into radio monophone with GPS.

I faintly recall that tinytrack was coding the station id
into trasmission, but quick glimpse didn't confirm that.

If you know any other such hardware for transmitting mobile
location, please post them.

br,

Tuju

--