[Qgis-user] calculate statistics on an attribute table (Spqr install)

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Tue May 6 08:02:36 PDT 2008

Just a note about the Spqr plugin.  I had a few problems in the install
that were not necessarily related to itself, but were certainly a pain
in the rear, and required some tracking.

First off, it requires rpy, which is all well and good, except that the
rpy package does not have a totally exhaustive list of modules that are
needed for compatibility with every version of R. My system had R 2.5.0
installed, and the set of .pyd files only had one for 2.5.1.  This
yielded an error when loading the plugins menu (with the last line
containing the crucial information):

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "", line 2, in
 File "C:/Program Files/Quantum GIS/./python/plugins\spqr\__init__.py",
line 5, in
  from spqr import Spqr
 File "C:/Program Files/Quantum GIS/./python/plugins\spqr\spqr.py", line
6, in
  import doHistogram
 File "C:/Program Files/Quantum
GIS/./python/plugins\spqr\doHistogram.py", line 6, in
  import opsR
 File "C:/Program Files/Quantum GIS/./python/plugins\spqr\opsR.py", line
7, in
  import rpy
 File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\rpy.py", line 134, in
  """ % RVERSION)
RuntimeError: No module named _rpy2050

So, I upgraded to 2.5.1 (even though I could have gone higher, I didn't
want to risk breaking any of the packages that I have gotten together
thus far).  However, when I opened QGis after upgrading, I was met with
a flood of errors during the plugin load process, all having to do with
the "Rconsole" file (in the R/R2.5.1/etc/Rconsole).  After OK'ing the
final error, QGis refused to load.  The errors were all in BLANK lines
however, which turned out to be a problem because it (who IT is I can
only guess, maybe python??) wanted Rconsole to be in Unix format, not PC
format as is the default for this Windows install.  So, I saved it as
Unix format, and then all was fine, Qgis loaded without incident, and
the stats package ran.

r.b.

Robert W. Burgholzer
Surface Water Modeler