[Qgis-user] ideas for developpers

Sebastien Vial sebastien.vial at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:09:05 PDT 2008

Hi all

First many thanks to Carson for those amazing plugins... specially for the
manageR !!

(perhaps I should write those ideas on some page in the wiki... but where ?)

And now, some ideas :
* for plugin developpers with time : (I'm a gis teacher, but with no time
and no python capacities... I'm trying to discover this interesting
programming language)
- join by attribute : join all the objets with the same attributes (the
opposite of the split by attributes) ; used to merge some polygons with the
same value in a column attribute
- simplify vector layer according to the scale ; there exists a python
script - in the gdal package for python- whose name is simplify.py that does
it... and a postgis script http://www.bostongis.com/postgis_simplify.snippet

* Wouldn't it be interesting to organize (at least a little) the plugin menu
? mine begins to be very... large ! For exemple, we could organize like
- vector objects oriented plugins
- database oriented plugins
- raster oriented
- import/export
- selecting
- statistics...

* and about the plugin manager : adding a column to know the installed
version of the plugin (like some linux package manager), in order to compare
the version number, and to know if the plugin needs to be re-installed ---
and perhaps a warning when there is a new version of a plugin

Many thanks in advance !!

I'm writing docs on qgis use (and the plugins !!)  for my students, but
there will be in FRENCH !!!

Seb

--
Sébastien VIAL
Prof d'Info - Resp. TIC/Comm - Formateur SIG