[Qgis-user] manageR update

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Fri May 16 04:17:16 PDT 2008

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Not sure what you mean here, losing spatial information once in R?

Sorry for my English, I was uncler in fact. Yes, losing, but only as an second
option when you don't need any spatial capabilities. It is faster and allows
export any loaded layer (see limitations I said previously).

Now night is coming to an end at Carson's, so let's look for the Update ;)

cfarmer wrote:
> Not a cyborg, but I did give up sleep about a month ago ;)

;-)

> Hmm, I don't use GRASS a lot, so I didn't implement this, but now that you
> mention it, it's probably a good idea. Unfortunately (and again, in this
> case I'm stuck with OGR drivers here for now) GRASS layers are read only
> AFAIK. So maybe I'll set it up so that you can read them in, and then
> export them to one of the other org formats...?

It will be great. I think saving is not a problem - even shp and geotiff
should be sufficient at the start, and manageR provides much more!

> This is my dream as well. I don't know C though, so I don't know how I
> would write a function to convert say a QgsVectorLayer to a sp
> Spatial*DataFrame? Anyone wanna give it a go?

I was talking rather about future - if we want to keep QGIS as much modular as
we can, I think the best way may be reading and writing directly from/to
QgsMapLayer and leaving all the format handling to provider plugins. What do
you think? Maybe I don't consider all threats (memory usage, specifity of
QgsMapLayer, risk of layer changing by user (in other thread) during long
analysis process...)

> I think this is a very good idea, and I will implement this later tonight.
> Look for an updated manageR with an added button to load only attributes.

I'm looking at kwordclock and it's still dark at Victoria... :(
:D

> Great! The more the merrier. This is a cool project, and I think it can
> really set QGIS apart as an all-in-one spatial analysis solution!

I use QGIS for few years, but what is happening now is amazing ;) With all the
external tools and easiness/power of Python/C, we have so huge potential,
that I use GRASS rarely and rarely.

Cheers!