[Qgis-user] QGIS and ECW and MrSid formats

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 03:43:24 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Marco Pasetti <marco.pasetti at alice.it> wrote:

> I think the problem doesn't rely on what the dev-community want to do, but
> on what we can do. MrSID and ECW licenses seem to be incompatible with the
> GPL.
> I'm not a license expert, so I cannot judge on that, but some time ago I
> deeply discussed with license experts about that, and their response was
> that "MrSID and ECW licenses are NOT GPL compliant".

Surely, their licenses are not GPL compliant, that's pretty clear. But
that's not important for us. The question is whether we can distribute
QGIS with their libraries. In MrSID and ECW licenses they let
developers to distribute software with MrSID/ECW libraries in binary
form, so I don't see any legal problem here.

Anyway, what would be benefit of those libraries if developers
wouldn't be able to distribute them? :-)

Martin