[Qgis-user] Mac OS X: QGIS 1.0 Preview 2 Crashes

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Nov 14 14:11:35 PST 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Martin Dobias wrote:

> libqgispython is meant to be loaded dynamically by QGIS application on
> startup. All python-related implementation is in this library, the
> rest of application is "python-free", i.e. it doesn't use any
> functions directly from python libs.
>
> libqgispython is not meant to be used by anything else than QGIS
> application itself.

So now the question is (and something I've wondered about) - just how
does this python support work?  Does it execute the python program (as
found in the user's PATH)?  Does it depend on linking to the python
library to find some python start/init symbol?

I'm guessing it runs or loads the python executable, because of the
problems we're having when other python binaries are found before the
one used to build Qgis.  If this is the case, we just need to depend
on the run/load of python to link in the python library, and
libqgispython itself doesn't need to link directly to python.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy