[Qgis-user] Mac OS X: QGIS 1.0 Preview 2 Crashes

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 16:30:04 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:52 AM, William Kyngesburye
<woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2008, at 5:03 PM, Martin Dobias wrote:
>> We're using only direct API function calls to python C library, python
>> executable is _not_ being run.
>>
>> To get libqgispython working properly, it's loaded from QGIS
>> application with following Qt's load hints:
>
> Ugh.  So, libqgispython is loaded more like a library, and it expects the
> python library to be loaded somehow - by the compiler linking - which is
> what we need to avoid.

libqgispython expects that dynamic linker loads the python library.
But I don't understand why we need to avoid it. Are python
implementations on OS X incompatible so that dynamic linker can't
choose any implementation?

> I wonder if Qgis can load the python library in the same way it loads
> libqgispython, so that the python symbols are available to libqgispython
> when it's loaded?  Then it could load whichever python is "default",
> whatever that may mean, or have a Qgis preference (like setting the GRASS
> location) to let the user choose a Python to use.

Do you think that this will work? Let QGIS dynamically load python
library, and if loaded successfully, load also libqgispython? It makes
some sense to me but isn't this something that dynamic linker is
better suited to do?

> Otherwise, whatever is done to make all the PyQt and Qgis python extensions
> "proper" won't matter, since libqgispython will be stuck with whichever
> python it was compiled with.

So does this mean that both libqgispython and sip/pyqt/pyqgis share
the same problem that they link to a specific python?

Btw. is there any good reading on web about these OSX-specific linking
issues in general to get a bigger image?

Martin