[Qgis-user] Problem importing/viewing a ~160MB shapefile

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Oct 13 10:27:39 PDT 2008

Dear All, apologies for the cross-posting but I have trouble to work
with a BIG shapefil (~160MB). I already used that shapefile in the past
without problems. But now I can't use it.

In GRASS: I (almost) managed to import in GRASS this BIG shapefile but
the process *stucks* somewhere at "breaking intersections" point (...it
was running for 10 hours). I broke the process and the file was in
GRASS' database. I run v.build but it still is problematic. I can't get
anything on-display.

In QGIS: when I try to load directly the shapefile (not the GRASS
vector) my system freezes!! I haven't seen my linuxbox frozen since I
don't remember when. What could cause such behaviour? Is there anyway to
get the shapefile fixed out of GRASS?

Thank you, Nikos