[Qgis-user] qgis crashes when opening a GRASS raster and vector maps

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Oct 13 12:00:49 PDT 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Kurt Springs wrote:

> I don't know if this means anything but I get a pop-up that says
> "QGIS couldn't find your GRASS installation.  Would you like to
> specify path (GISBASE) to your GRASS installation.  I have tried
> several things but none of them seem to satisfy this message.  Could
> someone tell me what I should be aiming for to specify the path?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

First, make sure you have GRASS installed.  Are you using my Qgis
binary?  It uses GRASS-6.3.app installed in the default location in
the Applications folder - if you move or rename GRASS, it may not
work, even after setting GISBASE.

Two ways you can fix GISBASE.  One, mentioned in my Qgis readme, is to
Show Package Contents of the GRASS application.  Command-option-drag
the Contents folder to your desktop (it creates an alias).  When
selecting the GISBASE in Qgis, use this alias to navigate into the
GRASS app and select the MacOS folder.

Or, in your home/Library/Preferences trash org.qgis.qgis.plist, and
then start Qgis.  My Qgis defaults to finding GRASS as installed as
mentioned above.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect