[work] Re: [Qgis-user] No reference or details aboutthe "topological editiing" option in the documentation

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Thu Oct 23 02:23:14 PDT 2008

Hi,

thanks a lot for your help with the topological editing. I added some additional
info to the manual about snapping and topological editing (here is a commit
extract). I guess we can extend it when we review and proofread.

----
There are two possibilities to define the snapping tolerance.

1. A general, project wide snapping tolerance can be defined choosing
\mainmenuopt{Settings} -> \dropmenuopttwo{mActionOptions}{Options}. In the
\tab{Digitizing} tab you can select between to vertex, to segment or to vertex
and segment as default snap mode. You can also define a default snapping
tolerance and a search radius for vertex edits. Remember the tolerance is in
layer units. In our digitizing project, the units are in feet. Your results
may vary, but something on the order of ?? to ?? should be fine.

2. A layer based snapping tolerance can be defined choosing
\mainmenuopt{Settings} -> \dropmenuopttwo{mActionOptions}{Project
Properties\dots}. In the \tab{General} tab, section Digitize you can click on
\button{Snapping options\dots} to enable and adjust snapping mode and
tolerance on a layer basis (see Figure~\ref{fig:snappingoptions}).

\subsubsection{Topological editing}

Besides layer based snapping options the \tab{General} tab in menu
\mainmenuopt{Settings} -> \dropmenuopttwo{mActionOptions}{Project
Properties\dots} also provides some topological functionalities. In section
Digitize you can \checkbox{Enable topological editing} and/or activate
\checkbox{Avoid intersections of new polygons}.

\minisec{Enable topological editing}

The option \checkbox{Enable topological editing} is for editing and maintaining
common boundaries in polygon mosaics. QGIS "detects" a shared boundary in
a polygon mosaic and you only have to move the vertex once and QGIS will take
care about updating the other boundary.

\minisec{Avoid intersections of new polygons}

The second topological option called \checkbox{Avoid intersections of new
polygons} avoids overlaps in polygon mosaics. It is for quicker digitizing of
adjacent polygons. If you already have one polygon, it is possible with this
option to digitise the second  +one such that both intersect and qgis then cuts
the second polygon to the common boundary. The advantage is that users don't
have to digitize all vertices of the common boundary.

regards,
 Otto