[Qgis-user] Another problem with QHttp (in Python)

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Wed Oct 29 13:40:10 PDT 2008

Hi,
I can't fix the last serious bug in Installer. In case of SOME connection
problems, QHttp stays in memory endlesly and hangs QGIS when closing.

The problem occurs only if the machine is online in local network, but
external network is disabled. In this case QHttp seems to be indestructible
and hangs QGIS when it attempts to exit. Neither calling the QHttp.abort()
nor deleting it by del (or rather deleting the pointing variable - AFAIK I
can't do more in Python) doesn't help.

Note that if machine is just offline, QHttp quickly returns a connection error
and everything works ok. Also if a host is unreachable and QHttp waits for
connection, it's no problem, because closing QGIS kills it properly and I
don't even need to call the QHttp.abort().

Has anybody any suggesions?

I set the 'looking for updates on startup' disabled by default. In most cases
user can safely enable it, but we just can't provide such potentially
unreliable feature enabled by default.