[Qgis-user] Compressed rasters: public domain format?

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Thu Oct 30 19:19:56 PDT 2008

I know you have specified "public domain format", but what about ECW or
JPEG2000, which are at least open standards? Also both formats have
widespread commercial and academic use.

It seems that GDAL can be built with support for JPEG2000 in at least
four different ways, and at least one of these is under an open source
license (JasPer). It looks like both ECW and MrSID have SDKs available
which include JPEG2000 support as well, but under various license
conditions.  But Jasper is supposedly good for display of up to 2GiB
images.

Perhaps someone more up to date with GDAL and JP2K than I am will have
other information.

Andrew.