[Qgis-user] QGIS and ECW and MrSid formats

Agustin Lobo aloboaleu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 01:28:46 PDT 2008

Hi!

Could we clarify the situation for ecw and Mrsid
formats in QGIS? (and perhaps put a note
somewhere in the qgis web pages).

I think that not being
able to read these formats is a major drawback
in practice. At least in Spain, a lot of public
available raster layers are in these formats.
Also, for example, the imagery at
https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/
(I know the original landsat images for those
are available in not compressed formats, but
that site is very convenient for many people)

If there is a compiled version of gdal including
support for these formats, why QGIS cannot? In any
case, is there any workaround so that users can get
to have ecw/Mrsid support out of their compiled version?
Perhaps through a plugin?

I really think that the final QGIS1.0 should be able to read in
those formats, somehow. This is probably seen as a minor concern for
developers, but a significant problem for users.

Agus
--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
email: Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster