[Qgis-user] QGIS and ECW and MrSid formats

Agustin Lobo Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
Fri Oct 31 05:05:27 PDT 2008

Micha Silver wrote:

> Last time we exchanged our frustration with this situation, I even gave
> a name to the new gdal binaries: we need a "gdal-good" "gdal-bad" and
> "gdal-ugly" in the same fashion that licence encumbered audio codecs are
> released as binaries outside of the standard distro repositories.

Yes, I know and I apologize  for raising the question again. But I'm
trying to get the planners/developers of QGIS to actually
let us know their thoughts on this issue, and even get that in the web
page so that this problem does not become a recurring question. Any new
comer to QGIS
will ask him/herself how to read these formats with QGIS and will ask to
this list unless there is a clear statement somewhere.

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
email: Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster