[Qgis-user] Newwbie Question re updating shapefiles

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 05:16:39 PDT 2008

Miner,
> I have a shape file of a number of states and the zip codes polygons that
> are to be found in those states. In another file I have local authorities
> that correspond to a number of zip codes. For example let us say a state is
> comprised of 20 zip codes (number 1 - 20) and the state is divided into 4
> local authorities - north east (zip 1-5); south east (zip (6-10); north west
> (11-15) and south west (16-20). Now I have a number of variables associated
> with each local authority area and I would like to display the shape file of
> the state with the areas identifed as which local authority they are in and
> with the associated variables available.
You should be able to do all this using the functions contained in
'fTools'[1], and possibly some of the geoprocessing functions found in
the 'geoprocessing plugin'[2].

[1] http://www.ftools.ca/fTools.html or add
http://www.ftools.ca/cfarmerQgisRepo.xml to the list of repositories
in your python plugin installer.
[2] Available from the 'official' repository in the python plugin installer

Cheers,

Carson

--
Carson Farmer