[Qgis-user] QGIS windows v's linux from a newbie perspective

Craig Leat craig.leat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 23:46:37 PDT 2009

Andreas Neumann:
> Storage space is so cheap nowadays that I store all of my data in tiffs.

The price has come done, but I wouldn't call it cheap in Africa. A 1Tb
NAS cost me the equivalent of three months groceries for my family.

> ECW is easy to compile on Linux. I never tried to compile MrSid.

MrSid seems to becoming the standard format for government raster data
here, so I self compile. Compiling on Ubuntu with MrSid libs is no big
deal and the performance of the MrSid SDK is excellent, in my
experience. Those that need ECW and MrSid and feel strongly against
compiling themselves, should hire someone to do it for them.

Craig