[Qgis-user] QGIS windows v's linux from a newbie perspective

Craig Leat craig.leat at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:16:32 PDT 2009

Agustin Lobo :
> I absolutely disagree. I'm not the question, I can compile (provided
> the appropriate directions are there). The problem is that if my 30 students
> twice a year have to
> compile or, worse, have to hire someone to do it in order to
> be able to use mrsid/ecw, they will just keep using windows. Or not using
> qgis.
>
> Linux cannot be a system for which you have to either become
> able of compiling QGIS or hire someone to do it. If this were the case,
> binaries should not be distributed.

Why would each student need to pay for a build service? Surely they
don't all run different OS variants on campus? In this hypothetical
arrangement, the consultant gets paid once (by the university?) for
his build service and you distribute the binary to your students,
family and friends (after all it's a GPL app).

I struggle to understand why some people are so willing to pay for a
Windows OS, but are repulsed by the idea of paying for a free software
service??? (May be a bit harsh - I hope you understand what I
mean...). This discussion is all hypothetical and obviously requires a
willing and able builder.

Craig