[Qgis-user] Relational Databases and PostGIS formatting of Vector Data

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:14:55 PDT 2009

> Yes, that is correct.
> Are there any other 'shp ingesters' for use with QGIS?
AFAIK the PostGIS manager plugin is also able to load shapefiles into
PostGIS, and this is a nice simple way to manage your database directly
from within QGIS.

> I am thinking that my complaint regarding proper normal form
> for vector data ingested into postgresql should also be tempered
> with the idea that any database user could reorganize the ingested
> data into any format they desire. Therefore, it's not as though
> anything is actually irreparably disorganized or broken.
>
> Technically one could just add a trigger to the system catalogs
> to check if a new table has been added to the database and then
> go from there.
Yes, I think you're probably right here. It would be difficult to create
a tool that would import data into pgsql the way that everyone or anyone
would like... so KISS is the best solution (keep it simple s...) from
here it's up to the database maintainer to keep things the way they want
it...

Th postgis user lists would probably benefit from this discussion, have
you suggested similar things there? Most of us on the QGIS lists aren't
database experts, so a better discussion would probably come out of the
postgis lists.

Carson

--
Carson J. Q. Farmer