[Qgis-user] Re: [Qgis-developer] Application of QGIS to

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Apr 16 10:23:50 PDT 2009

Tom Maddock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are newcomers to QGIS and are trying to evaluate its suitability for
> application to some ecological programs we have developed.  I am not
> sure we are in the proper forum for our questions, which are many, but
> here is a start.
>
> We have developed an ArcGIS 9.2 custom application in VB 2005, .NET
> framework 2.0 to derive parameters for the riparian evapotranspiration
> package in MODFLOW and visualize MODFLOW groundwater results. We are
> considering using QGIS to perform the geo-processing component of our
> program instead of using the ESRI product.  It should be noted that
> MODFLOW is a FORTRAN-90 product (yes, some people still use FORTRAN),
> and is used to solve the groundwater flow equations.
>
> We would like to know if QGIS provides some of the out of the box
> geo-processing components such as overlay analysis and zonal statistics
> similar to ArcGIS.
>
> Here is the list of geo-processing tasks that we perform in our program:
>
>     * Attributing vegetation polygon shapefile interactively by
>       selecting polygons and enter % cover values on a form
> ./acda/Acda en de Munnik - Trilogie Deel I Zwerf'on/Mp3/Acda en de Munnik - 10 - Dag Esmee.mp3
>

>     * Creating finite difference grid as a polygon shapefile in order to
>       support irregular grid sizes
>
>     * Intersecting vegetation polygon shapefile with the finite
>       difference grid shapefile and updating areas of the polygons
>
>     * Obtaining average surface elevation per riparian polygon derived
>       from (DEM) and write it to vegetation polygon shapefile
>
>     * Access each record in the attribute table and write values in a
>       text file with specific format.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
>     * Is there a support for relational database management such as join
>       and relates?
>
>     * What are the supporting programming languages and can we re-use
>       some of the components that are already written in VB .NET in the
>       project?
>
> Thomas Maddock III
> Professor and Head
> Department of Hydrology & Water Resources
> University of Arizona
> 1133 E. James E. Rogers Way, Rm. 122
> Tucson, Arizona  85721
> (520)621-7120

Hi Tom,

I think you should try to ask this in the qgis-users list. I will
forward this message to it ..

Short answers of some things I know:

- postgresql/postgis is a relational database which can be used with
qgis which I think can do what you want.

- though qgis is written in c++/qt, there is a very nice python-plugin
interface which can be used to write extensions

- most dataformats are both readable and writable

- qgis can be used as frontend of GRASS a (from what I've heard) a
pretty powerfull opensource gis

Hope this helps a little, and maybe other people on the users list can
help you any further.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde