[Qgis-user] How to run synchronously stable and unstable qgis versions

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 06:40:38 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Nikos Alexandris
<nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> With grass it is possible to compile && install && run grass64, grass65,
> grass7, etc.
>
> When compiling && installing qgis from source it's always _one_ binary
> called qgis. How could I do with qgis the same as I do with grass?

You can install qgis to different prefixes - e.g. ~/apps/qgis0.11/ and
~/apps/qgis1.0/
Then just create symlinks for each installation:
sudo ln -s ~/apps/qgis0.11/bin/qgis /usr/bin/qgis0.11

> P.S. My actual problem is that I am unable to use "old" qgis project
> files. Is there a work-around or an import/convert old _qgs_ files?

What's the problem with old project files? From some version (0.11 I
think) there is a mechanism for transformations of old project files
to newer ones. So you might try to find out, someone from the devs may
be able to add the transformation :-)

Martin