[Qgis-user] PostGIS Manager plugin issue

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 04:02:31 PST 2009

Hi Alex

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> I've had a similar issue with postgis in general. Basically it's trying
> to log you into postgis using your system account and if postgis isn't
> configured properly to allow the system to provide the authenticaton
> (Ident) then it fails. For now I've created a user that only exists in
> postgis not on my system and gave it a password. If I use that postgis
> account I get no errors.

Hmm... I can't replicate the problem on my (ubuntu) system - I've
created a new user and a new database with the same name, but without
postgis support. PostGIS manager connects without any problems.

The logic is the following:
1. connect
2. check for postgis - simplified: SELECT postgis_lib_version()
  if the query fails, there's no postgis and the transaction is rolled back.
3. check for postgresql version
4. check for user's privileges for the database

It seems that in Joe's case the problem is with step 3 - the output is
that previous transaction was aborted, however it should have been
unrolled already. I don't have idea what's wrong here.

If anyone of you gives me permissions to access your DB, I should be
able to track down the problem and fix it...

Martin