[Qgis-user] put a reward on the head of the whishlist tasks

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Feb 4 05:16:10 PST 2009

G. Allegri ha scritto:
> Hello list.
> In these days, reading the various whishes in the past thread [1], I
> was wondering about the various "business strategies" to speed up and
> give more robust support to QGIS development. I don't know if the way
> of putting a reward on the head of a certain target has been discussed
> before, anyway I want to share some thoughts.
> It could be considered in a two-way meaning:
> What do you think about this? Could it be something feasable and
> useful for QGIS?

Hi Giovanni.
In the past we have been discussing several times about these very
important issues. The steering committee position, as I understand it,
is basically that people, firms and institutions willing to contribute
to a better QGIS have two non-exclusive choices:
- hire a developer (either from qgis volunteers, to allow him to
concentrate on qgis development, or bringing fresh blood into the team)
to fix specific issues of higher priority for them; a number of firms
provide commercial support[1] for qgis, so this option is easy for everybody
- donate to the project through the sponsorship and donation
programme[2], to make general project management smoother and help
fixing pending issues.
We have studied alternative ways, but we believe these are more complex,
and could have a number of side effects.
Anyway, more opinions and further suggestions on this would certainly be
good, so please everybody (and especially potential supporters) speak out.
All the best.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini, see: * http://www.faunalia.it/pc *