[Qgis-user] qgis 1.0 and GRASS

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Feb 20 09:28:24 PST 2009

First, make sure you have the right GRASS version that the Qgis you
have was made for.  (My Qgis.app is built for GRASS 6.4)

For it to work automatically, GRASS should be exactly where it was
installed, and not moved or renamed.  If Qgis doesn't find it, try
trashing your Qgis preferences plist.

The reason GRASS must be exactly as installed is not because of the
GISBASE - this you can change, as you tried.  It's because the GRASS
libraries are linked by absolute paths.  Something I've been meaning
to check is if Qgis uses DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, like GRASS itself uses, so
it can find the GRASS libraries whereever they are.

If Qgis is still complaing about the GISBASE, there is a trick you
need to use - the GISBASE is not the GRASS application, but a folder
inside the GRASS application.  Right-click the GRASS application and
"Show package contents".  Command-option-drag the "Contents" folder to
your desktop.

In Qgis, when it asks to set the GISBASE, open the Contents alias on
your desktop and select the "MacOS" folder there as the GISBASE.