[Qgis-user] Differences between polygons (city limit bounds) problem

Joe Larson joe at joelarson.com
Mon Feb 23 11:03:45 PST 2009

Hello list!

I've been wrestling with this for a while now - appealing to the
community for some potential suggestions. I am updating our City Limits
Boundary polygon for submission to the 2010 Census.

I add the old Census boundary (vintage 1999) polygon and our current
City Limits boundary polygon to QGIS and run a 'difference' operation
via fTools, TWICE (2x)...Once gives me the 'IN' pieces and twice gives
me the 'OUT' pieces. This works great.

I then (try to) perform something like a merge (or maybe dissolve?) with
the 'IN' poly pieces and then a clip (or maybe another difference
operation?) with the 'OUT' pieces.

The Census needs two shapefile deliverables: one with all the 'IN & OUT'
poly pieces and a final polygon boundary. I may have worked on this
issue unsuccessfully to realize a better strategy - anyone have
suggestions? let me know if i can elaborate, thx -joe