[Qgis-user] New GIS User, What to use (QGIS, GVSIQ or UDIG)?

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:56:36 PST 2009

Hi boesiii,
> A client of mine needs softwate to edit shapefiles and was wondering what's
> the easiest and best to use (QGIS, GVSIG, or UDIG)?  Basically they will be
> adding points (fire hydrants) and lines (waterlines) and entering attribute
> data.

I have found that QGIS is by far the best desktop GIS for editing
shapefiles. The editing toolbar is simple, intuitive, and has all the
tools you need for standard editing and digitizing. It's also relatively
fast, and stable.
> They are on a tight budget, so anything by ESRI is out of the question.

Frankly, the QGIS editing tools are much easier to use than any ESRI
product that I've used (and a whole lot cheaper ;-) )

Cheers,

Carson