[GRASS-user] Re: [Qgis-user] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] augmenting donations

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 03:09:01 PDT 2009

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> So what I would tell them is: go ahead and contract one of
> the core developers, or one of the companies listed in
> http://qgis.org/en/commercial-support.html and
> http://grass.osgeo.org/community/commercial.php
> Several companies and agencies already do it.

just call them "consultants" or "temporary contractor" instead of "core
developer" or "company providing independent support" and everyone will
magically understand each other without introducing fear of the unknown.

Hiring 3rd party support is not really a foreign idea to any business,
-- on the other hand the idea that you have the ability to directly do
something to fix bugs/requirements without waiting to purchase version+1
may be new and not immediately appreciated. But the boss is probably not
stupid (business-wise) & will eventually figure it out and be pleased with
themselves for discovering a sneaky way to reduce costs.  (in theory :)

i.e. Bruce Perens's sell them on the gratis, not the libre angle.

2c,
Hamish