[Qgis-user] postgis manager plugin feedback

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 07:28:27 PDT 2009

Hello list and Martin
I've been trying out the postGIS Manager plugin. It's great! I would
like to leave some of the problems I found/wishlist for improvement.

PROBLEMS:

- When I import a shapefile to my existing postgisDB the GUI doesn't
refresh the table list. I have to close the plugin and reopen it to
see my newly imported table.

- I am not able to run some SQL commands in the SQL window. For example:

CREATE TABLE formacoesmeridional AS
SELECT ST_INTERSECTION(f.the_geom, b.the_geom) as the_geom,
f.codlito, f.comp_lit, f.per_geol, f.designa, f.pgid
FROM formacoeslitologicas f, bacias b
WHERE ST_INTERSECTS(f.the_geom, b.the_geom) AND b.gid=1

this won't work. Why is that? It also doesn't give me any error or
warning as to why it failed. I'm pretty sure the SQL code is correct
because I can run this query just fine when using pgAdminIII.

WISHLIST:

- It would be very nice if there was a button to carry out the task of
manually updating the geometry_columns table. As you can see by my SQL
example, I was creating some a  new table as a result of a spatial
intersection between existing tables. This kind of operation forces me
to manually update the geometry_columns table with the info from my
new table. If this could be done with a button press in the postGIS
Manager it would be sweet.

- It would be great if you and the author of the pgQuery plugin would
join both plugins into one. The pgQuery plugin has some nice
functionality like the ability to perform queries using multiple
tables, a nice pane for postgis functions, the ability to save query
templates for common tasks and also the aility to load the results of
a query directly to the Qgis canvas.

Thank you so much for your work