[Qgis-user] serious problems with the editing tools on Windows (OSGeo4W and standalone)

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jul 24 04:52:39 PDT 2009

Hi Giovanni,

Per default, QGIS disables snapping by setting the tolerance to 0. In my
experience QGIS behaves as expected and I wouldn't want to change its
behavior.

Somehow you might have set the snapping settings before? Are you sure it
is not your (or your customers) fault?

Also make sure that you map units are correctly set. People often forget
to set them to meters. In my experience the majority of the (large scale)
GIS projects are based on meters, not on degrees. Only a few small scale
(or GIS projects of global scope) are usually based on deegrees.

Andreas

On Fri, July 24, 2009 11:35 am, G. Allegri wrote:
> Ouch! Tha'ts awful! If I simply open and close the snapping tab inside the
> Project Properties the specific layer snapping options are set, otherwise
> the deafult global options are used.
> In my experience the expected behaviour is different:
>
>  - by default the global snapping options should be 0 (no snap)
>  - if I want gloabl snap I can set it's value in the the Digitizing tab
> under Options
>  - if I want to set per layer options it should require to flag the
> specific
> layer inside the Snapping Options window from Project Properties, and set
> the snapping value.
>
> Otherwise, before digitizing in lat-lon, I have to do the extra step to
> change the dafult value (100) or open-close the Snapping Options window.
> The
> latter is a very strange, unexpected, behaviour!
>
> giovanni
>
> 2009/7/24 flavio rigolon <flavio.rigolon at gmail.com>
>

>> 2009/7/24 G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com>
>>
>>> The few times I've used the editing tools in QGis it was on my Linux
>>> box.
>>> Now I was testing it on Windows for a customer and I've found the
>>> following
>>> problems, that I've reported with a ticket on the OSGeo4W and QGis
>>> tracs.
>>>
>>> It happens both on Stable and Unstable QGis on OSGeo4W and standalone
>>> distributions. The editing tools don't handle correctly mouse events
>>> coordinates. In particular it seems that the editings don't grep the
>>> mouse
>>> click coordinates after the first feature has been drawn. The
>>> coordinates
>>> remain stuck to the ones of the last geometry.
>>>
>>>    - If one tries to create a new point layer every added feature
>>>    geometry collapse on the same position of the first one added.
>>>    - With lines after the first line is addes the followings get
>>> snapped
>>>    to the last vertex of the preceeding line.
>>>    - etc.
>>>
>>> Obviously this doesn't happen on my Linux Qgis version...
>>>
>>> Can anybody reproduce this problem?
>>>
>> Hi Giovanni,
>>  perhaps I'm wrong but I've had the same problem (in Linux) time ago
>> when I
>> had not set the default snapping tolerance (in "Settings ->
>> Options....".
>> Did you?
>>
>> hth
>> flavio