[Qgis-user] extracting coordinates for multiple points

Jens Kruger jkruger at sopac.org
Tue Jul 28 16:00:34 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have digitised some points on a map. I have edited the attribute table
to hold columns named latitude and longitude. I would like to fill these
columns with the corresponding coordinates of the points. Something like
'update column latitude with centroid(y) from object'.

I can work around this using the 'coordinate capture' plugin, but it is
really not suitable as I have many points.

If there is no straight forward solution perhaps Python can help? But I
would be unsure where to start.

Many thanks in advance for your help, Jens

Jens Kruger
Physical Oceanographer
Ocean & Islands Programme
Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission, SOPAC
Suva, Fiji Islands
Ph: +679 338 1377
Fax: +679 337 0040