[Qgis-user] help for GRASS modules: *.region.*

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jun 22 13:51:29 PDT 2009

(
Post didn't reach the list before... ?
)

Paolo Cavallini:
> What is needed in my view is:

> - check whether all the *region.* QGIS-GRASS modules work

> - check whether their description is correct (I guess not), and how it
> should eventually be changed

> - check whether the bug https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1645 is
> valid, or it should be closed.

Paolo & Lorenzo & Company,
I took some time to have a closer look. I don't have the time to prepare
new definitions/descriptions for the tools (as I am suggesting below). I
hope that my findings give some answers to the questions asked above.
Attached an html file with my (tomboy) notes!

Kindest regards, Nikos

Functionality
-------------

# tools that work as expected
g.region.save
g.region.zoom
g.region.multiple.raster
g.region.multiple.vector
r.region.region
r.region.raster
r.region.edge
v.in.region
v.mkgrid.region

# tools that don't work
r.region.vector # wild guess: messes up N-S and/or E-W resolution(s)
r.region.alingTo # doesn't do anything

* One important thing is that, after running some *.region.* tool, to
actually see the "change" it is required to hit twice the "Display
Current Grass Region" button (grass toolbar), that is to deactivate and
activate the red grass region box. Maybe this could be a point to
"improve"?

* Most tools have a "Use region of this map" button. It's unclear to me
why the button is next to the map whose region is to be altered (!)

* The "..." button does not offer the selection of multiple
raster/vector maps in the g.region.multiple.* tools

Descriptions

* Most tools just show the "whole" manual as taken from GRASS

* Most tools do just a single thing

* I suggest to keep only single-definitions/sentences as descriptions
for each tool

Bug 1645
--------

Unclear to me. See my comments in trac. Maybe I don't understand the
reported "wish".