[Qgis-user] length...

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Fri Mar 13 02:05:14 PDT 2009

Carson Farmer wrote:

> T,
>
> To get the column length, you can use the export/add geometry function
> in fTools, which will create a copy of the dataset (as a shapefile)
> with an additional length field (or it will populated the length field
> if it already exists). From this you can use the compute basic
> statistics function to get the sum of the field...

Any chance to alter the fTools plugin so that the geometry functions
stick the new columns straight into the original shapefile? I can't
think of any situation where you'd need to keep both the original shape
without the geometry attribute and the new one with.
Other GIS software (i.e. GRASS as John Tull pointed out, as well as
Arc*) just add the length/perimeter, X-Y  or area column into the
existing vector layer.

A minor annoyance, but it would be nice...
Thanks,
Micha