[Qgis-user] map collars

Chris h chris123 at magma.ca
Wed Mar 18 15:32:04 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 16:07:18 MS wrote:
> I realize this goes into other software on a qgis list, but I wonder
> with GDAL or GRASS one can accomplish this.
>
> It is really a raster clip that would work well, especially if the
> next step is mosaic'ing the rasters.  Are these quad ma

The charts are NOAA BSB rasters.

Posted the same questions to the grass list and the response was positive:
>> WIth r.in.poly you could "digitize" the area of interest, then use
>> r.mask to remove the outside area, then r.patch everything.
>> With a small script you could generate the ASCII polygon file
>> for r.in.poly based on the map extent.

Standalone gdal will not do it, especially if you want to automate the process
and have concerns with the osmerander bug which in a marine charting
environment could be rather interesting. The charts will in fact be tiled and
made available via mapserver wms.

The only issue for me is that I must learn each step with each application.
Hence I went the easy route first to see what can be done with qgis.

There is a very good new program out for creating tiles, maptiler.org and need
to see and learn if the datum and projection can be changed. Its basically a
front end to galtiler.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

--
/ch