[Qgis-user] rephrased;. import 3D line into a shapefile?

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:46:16 PDT 2009

Tom,

You have laid out an interesting (fun) problem.  I don't have a
solution for you, but a few thoughts on how I would approach it.

1.  I am not sure how you want to display the 3D shape in QGIS.  If
you are just going to symbolize the depth by coloring the line
segments, you could get by with a 2D shapefile and an attribute for
depth.

2.  I would likely write a python script using the ogr python module
to calculate the x,y,z values for each vertex in your line and then
create the shapefile.

3.  Instead of using lat/lon for your spatial reference system, you
may want to think about projecting your original point to a coordinate
system like UTM.  This should make your calculations easier.

David.