[Qgis-user] Projection not recognised EPSG:31259

Albin Blaschka albin.blaschka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 07:39:49 PDT 2009

Werner Macho wrote:
> Hi!
>
> You mean there's no rely to any .prj file i'll get anywhere?
> I mean - I understand that I should controll in every step i do if the
> results are ok or not .. but .. at least I thought (beside of
> controlling afterwards) that a projection should at least be recognised
> at what it is..
> And that seems not to be the case allthough it is definitely an EPSG
> 31259 ..
> So which program has a wrong database or where does this translation
> failure happen?
>
> regards
> Werner

Hello,

from Roland's (he was the person who brought first light for me in this
issue) and my/our experience (we work together, sometimes ;-) the
situation presents itself like that:

* If you have an ESRI-generated .prj-file, the towgs84 - parameter is
missing: Programms using GDAL/Proj & Co. (like QGIS) need this parameter
to be able to make projections on the fly. So, you have to edit the .prj
file in question, or use the suitable one from the ones I sent earlier
today, and name it accordingly  - if you make the jump from ESRI to QGIs
for example

* If you stay just with ESRI, it is no problem, as far as I can tell,
ArcGIS does projections on the fly within its programming logic, it
seems (just a wild guess)

* As a conclusion: The .prj files are not really wrong, they are
incomplete (Is there an official standard/definition somewhere?). To be
on the safe side, make your .prj-files complete, because if ESRI
stumbles over the towgs84-parameter it leaves it alone, so jumping back
and forth is no problem...

* From a kind of "scientific" point of view: If you have the parameter
in your .prj-files, it is documented what you intended to do with the
data...

Maybe the situation is a little clearer now...

best wishes,

Albin