[Qgis-user] Why no proper QGis Windows installer yet?

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 09:12:46 PDT 2009

Hi Mats!
First of all I'd like to invite you to join us and help building the
Windows Installer.
I'm sure a lot of people are currently working on an stand alone
installer but - on the other side - just as a question - why does it
windows make so hard for us to create a installer?
 From my point of view the OSGeo4W Installer works pretty well and gives
you all what you need.
I agree with you - Open Source should not be restricted to non-windows..
But fact is that windows always needs extra attention and extra time.
We're all working voluntarily on QGIS and sometimes there are more
important things to do.
Believe me - QGIS IS user friendly but why is Windows not "Open Source
Developer friendly"?
I dont blame Windows for all things that are happening - I just dont use
it..;)
And now to be honest - of course I have to use windows in some
situations too and unfortunately there are still tools existing only
under windows but whenever i have the chance i jump to a more stable
base that let me the freedom i can do with it whatever I want.
Back to your question: Naturally there IS improvement in sight .. It's
just a question of time.
Beside saying that - there is always a chance to pay a QGIS Developer
for fixing some bugs or implementing some new features (like the windows
installer) - that usually speed up the things enormous.. :)

regards
Werner