[Qgis-user] Why no proper QGis Windows installer yet?

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Mar 26 14:22:42 PDT 2009

Hi Agustin

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> I personally use linux but have had to pay attention to Qgis running on
> Windows
> (and recently on Mac) because most students are using Windows (and, even
> worse, vista).
> But I must say that I feel a bit guilty for this. Somehow I feel that there
> is a lot
> of very good brain time being devoted to deal with windows-related problems
> that could be much better invested on other things (including beach time).
> Therefore, I would prefer being able to push more my students towards linux,
> and this
> would be a good time as they are having so many problems with vista. I'm
> also teching
> people from many different countries (Brazil, Korea, India, USA...), so the
> impact would
> be no-negligeable.
> Nevertheless, I cannot do it. Why? because we still do not have ecw/mrsid
> support for
> binary linux installations of qgis, therefore cannot really tell my students
> that installing qgis for linux is going to be better than installing qgis
> for windows.
> I've said in this list many times that having ecw/mrsid support for
> binary linux installations of qgis is a major issue, perhaps not a sexy one
> for developpers, I can understand it. But, don't know, I must be wrong.
>
> Agus

The campaign for ecw/sid support on linux is one that should be moved to
the gdal list I think. We are dependent on whatever packages are
available for a givin distro so it makes sense to me to try to get the
gdal packagers to accommodate you here.

Regards

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services