[Qgis-user] Raster data formats

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat May 16 09:34:43 PDT 2009

Alex Mandel wrote:

> I wonder if we can create an archive like the ubuntu non-free and stick
> a gdal-build in there with at least MrSID support, allowing people to
> optionally replace the one on their system.

Alex:
Thanks for bringing up this suggestion again.  Agus and I have bantered
back and forth on this question, and I think that the bottom line is we
need someone (that proverbial "someone") to make non-free packages of
gdal with support enabled for ecw and mrsid.
Their licensing permits using the libraries, just not distributing them.
So, while qgis.org cannot distribute a binary linked to ecw libs,  a
private user *can* agree to their license and use them. I can't see any
difference between that and i.e. audio codecs.
<Adding the usual IANAL disclamer>
--
Micha