[Qgis-user] Symbology question

Simon Banton simon+qgis at web.org.uk
Tue May 26 03:30:15 PDT 2009

Dear list,

I'm trying to use the "Unique Value" legend type on the Symbology tab
of the Layer Properties dialog for a GML layer.

Although the "Classification field" dropdown contains the correct
fieldnames for the layer, nothing happens when I hit the "Classify"
button having chosen the field I want to classify by.

If I save the GML layer out as a shapefile and then add that
shapefile back in as a new layer, the Classify button works as
expected for the new layer and generates a list of the unique values
in my chosen field. However, saving the GML as a shapefile is
truncating my text attribute fields to 80 chars.

Is there a way to get the Classify button to work with the straight
GML? Alternatively, is there a way to make the exported shapefile
fields honour the length of the data in the original GML? I'm using
v1.02 on OSX 10.5.

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers
Simon