[Qgis-user] WMS hangs sometimes, Timeouts

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Nov 3 00:41:39 PST 2009

I am answering my own mail to let you know how we solved the problem.

It turned out that our WMS request went through our proxy, which caused
the more or less frequent hangs. I interpreted the proxy exclude list the
wrong way. It is a "starts-with", not a string "contains" URL filter - one
hast to include the "http://...." in the exclude list - otherwise the
request goes to the proxy specified (if turned on).

This has been clarified in the UI of the proxy settings now, to avoid
similar confusion for other users.

All fine now on my side and the WMS hangs disappeared by changing the
proxy exclude list accordingly. Also, performance is now better when
skipping the proxy.

Andreas

On Tue, October 27, 2009 12:19 pm, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I extensively use WMS to display raster data. The WMS is inhouse (in the
> same LAN). Unfortunately, I experience timeouts quite frequently, in
> average every 10 pan/zooms QGIS hangs, waits for 1-2 minutes and then
> displays an error message about a HTTP-Exception, also displaying the URL.
> When I copy/paste the URL to a web-browser, the link just works fine and
> loads immediately.
>
> The thing is that the WMS just works fine from other web-based
> applications and never hangs. I wonder what may be wrong with the way QGIS
> retrieves the WMS results and why it may hang so frequently?
>
> We have a proxy to access the internet, but I added our own WMS as a proxy
> exception, so it shouldn't go through the proxy.
>
> Do other people have the same problems?
>
> I am testing with latest trunk builds on Windows XP and Linux. Similar
> problems/results. The problem existed for a while with the trunk builds.
>
> Thanks for any hints on what we could do/try to resolve the issue. I will
> test the WMS with other clients (gvSig or uDig) to see if it hangs there
> as well or not.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Neumann