[Qgis-user] Error importing qgis in python

Daniel Arribas-Bel daniel.arribas.bel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 06:24:28 PST 2009

Hi All!

I'm trying to import qgis into python outside the standard qgis python
console. I've set ht PYTHONPATH like the following:

export
PYTHONPATH=${PYTHONPATH}:"/Applications/qgis1.0.0.app/Contents/MacOS/share/qgis/python/"

Then I fire up a fresh terminal, open ipython and try to import it getting
the following:

In [3]: import qgis.core
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

/Users/dreamessence/<ipython console> in <module>()

ImportError:
dlopen(/Applications/qgis1.0.0.app/Contents/MacOS/share/qgis/python/qgis/core.so,
2): Library not loaded: @executable_path/lib/libqgis_core.1.0.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Applications/qgis1.0.0.app/Contents/MacOS/share/qgis/python/qgis/core.so
  Reason: image not found

In [4]:

Any suggestions/ideas why it's happening? How could I make it work? If I'm
on the python console within qgis it works fine.

I'm on MacOS 10.5 and qGIS-1.0.0

Thank you very much,

]d[

Daniel Arribas-Bel
Mail: darribas at unizar.es

Department of Economic Analysis
Universidad de Zaragoza (www.unizar.es)

GeoDa Center for Geospatial Analysis and Computation (geodacenter.asu.edu)
Arizona State University (USA)