What is "is a qgis problem"? (it was Re: [Qgis-user] Scattergram with compiled qwt5.2.0)

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Nov 7 08:57:42 PST 2009

Hi Agus:

While I totally agree with your "bottom line" i.e.:

[quoted from below]

"I think that QGIS is not far from such an operational point and that
making an effort on reaching it rather than on developing newer tools for a
while would make a lot of sense... for users. Obviously, developers will do
what they will be willing to do. All what users can do is telling other
users
what the situation is. "

your criticism might be a bit harsh in getting there.

The problem you raise here is one specific (external) plugin. That poor
student who has to submit his project in 24 hr. is indeed caught in a
bad situation. Still qgis devs should focus on core functionality, and
stability, leaving the new not-fully-tested stuff to the plugin
architecture.

Also...

Agustin Lobo wrote:

> I think this issue is equivalent to the one on having
> Mrsid and ecw support under linux. From
I don't think this comparison is correct. Support for mrsid and ecw is,
I believe, a widely requested feature that should be considered *core
functionality*.  With your help and encouragement, we had a simple gdal
plugin on ubuntu 9.04, and hopefully that will soon be available on 9.10
also, like it is on the OSGeo windows installer.

Regards,
Micha