[Qgis-user] Support for (wrong) GEOCOVER projection for S hemisphere in qgis

Roland Hill Roland.Hill at FourWindsTechnology.com.au
Thu Nov 19 03:36:39 PST 2009

I have had the same problem with southern hemisphere Landsat being
registered as northern hemisphere with negative northings. The best
solution I found was to reproject the image. You can use GDAL with
something like

gdalwarp -t_srs '+proj=utm +zone=34 +south +datum=WGS84' -srcnodata 0
-dstnodata 0 -multi -of GTiff -co COMPRESS=LZW -co TFW=true -co
INTERLEAVE=BAND $1 Z34S_$1

where $1 is the name of the original file (the output file has Z34S_
prepended). I just put this into a script file and call it from the
command line, or from another script if you have a list of images to
convert.

Regards,

Roland