[Qgis-user] GPS plugin requests

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed Nov 25 03:10:36 PST 2009

Using the GPS Tools plugin, it's not possible to download a gpx file
from a GPS with spaces in the path to the output gpx file.  But gpsbabel
itself does work successfully, from the command line, if the path is
"quoted". So:
gpsbabel -i garmin -f USB: -o gpx -F "C:\Documents and Settings\micha\My
Documents\new.gpx"
works OK.
I can't see any way to get the GPS Tools plugin to add quotes to the
output filename. Is it possible to add this feature to the plugin by
default?

And (while I'm at it) two small additional issues with the plugin:
1- Once you download data from the GPS, the plugin window immediately
closes. If I want both waypoints and tracks, I need to start again. Why
not just leave the window open, with a close button (like in other QGIS
dialogs)
2- Can the plugin be improved to save the path to the last location
where gpx files were saved? (like in other dialogs such as File->Save,
Save as Shapefile, etc.)

Thanks,
Micha