[Qgis-user] What is the matter with QGis versus MS Windows?

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 06:54:26 PST 2009

> I am a bit afraid of using the osgeo4w-setup.exe program now (of
> course it seems to give more flexibility in principle, but here it did
> not lead to a viable installation

it is true that the osgeo4w installer is not the classical windows
installer, but nevertheless it works pretty fine also for not advanced
users especially when they do understand (and usually takes a few
seconds, it not hard) that is made that way to let people install *many*
software and libraries that they may need.

In any case, if you don't mind not having GRASS, there is also the
standalone installer. A few clicks on the "next" button and you are done
(bu the way, also the osgeo4w installer is almost only clicks on
"next").

> From september 24:
> I understand the problems remain with the OSGeo4w installer: can any
> Windows user confirm?

That thread was related to a 3rd party plugin, gdal tools, that is being
developed under linux environment, so at that stage (it was the
beginning) it was asked to windows user to leave feedback. As a matter
of fact now it works well on both platforms.

cheers